"We can and must do more to ensure all students have an equal opportunity to graduate. Join me in making a gift to the CNS Student Success Fund today.” - Dean Tricia Serio
Because of you, CNS students are exposed to new ideas and have the opportunity to engage in research that could change not only their own lives but also the world. As the first in my family to attend college, I know first-hand the transformational impact you can have on a student’s life. I am proud of how hard you work on behalf of our students, and I’m committed to helping you do even more to ensure every student has the opportunity to succeed.
Despite our efforts, 30% of the students enrolled in CNS don’t graduate. Graduation rates matter because a degree has economic impact on both our students and our communities. By 2020, 65% of the jobs nationwide and 72% in Massachusetts will require postsecondary education, and lifetime earnings and health are greatly improved with attainment of a bachelor’s degree.
Unacceptably, graduation rates can be dramatically impacted by factors that have little to do with students’ abilities, including socioeconomic status and the educational attainment of their parents. Nearly 1 in 3 incoming CNS students is a first-generation student, and 72% of UMass Amherst students borrow money for their education. Programs have shown that we can counteract these gaps between experience and ability with intensive advising, skill development and other academic support programs. Even with a modest investment of resources, these approaches are key to helping students reach their potentials and complete their degrees.
Please consider joining me in making a gift to the CNS Student Success Fund. This fund will provide the advising and targeted academic support our students need to succeed. Give early to qualify for the campus match and increase the impact of your gift.
Thank you for your support and dedication.
To support any of the departments or other initiatives within CNS or Stockbridge, click on the “Give” button to see a complete list of departments, or select "other" and write in the area you wish to support.
NOTE- UNIVERSITY MATCH NO LONGER AVAILABLE: All of the available $500,000 in matching funds for this year’s Faculty and Staff Campaign have been already reserved. Consequently we cannot guarantee that any gifts or pledges made moving forward will be matched. The good news is that matching funds have been depleted much earlier than in previous years due to increased generosity of our faculty and staff. THANK YOU! We hope that faculty and staff who have not yet participated will consider making a gift even though the matching funds have been depleted.
Ways to Give:
- Through Payroll Deduction- Spread your gift out over weeks or months and have it taken directly out of your paycheck.
- Online- click the “Give” button to make your gift today.
- By Check- Send a check to Faculty and Staff Campaign, Development Office, UMass Amherst, Memorial Hall, 134 Hicks Way, Amherst, MA 01003. Please be sure to indicate what area of campus you would like your gift to support.
- Make a Pledge- Print out a pledge form to make a pledge now and fulfill it later. Deliver it to the address on the form.
- The campus will match $1 for every $1 given by all current and retired faculty and staff to qualifying campus accounts, up to $500,000 (on a first come, first served basis) through June 30, 2018. Those of you who have already shown your support with a gift or pledge made on or after July 1, 2017, but before the kick off of the Faculty and Staff Campaign, will be included in this match.
- All gifts from pledges will be matched as long as you establish your pledge or payroll deduction while there are still matching funds available and you fulfill your pledge by the end of the campaign on June 30, 2018.
- If a gift exceeds $10,000, the campus match will be limited to $10,000.
- Contributions designated to any campus account will be matched, except for tickets to university events and deferred gifts. Deferred gifts are also known as planned gifts or estate commitments.
- Gifts made by the spouse or domestic partner of a faculty, staff, or retiree will be eligible for the campus match. Matching gifts from the employer of a spouse or domestic partner will not qualify for campus matching funds.
- Campus matching funds will be distributed into the same account as the original gift.
- The campus match cannot be used in the donor’s total for membership in campus donor societies or clubs.
For questions, contact Stephanie Flaherty at 413-545-1466 or firstname.lastname@example.org.